Sunday 14 June 2015

Why do I feel this way?

Right now, I am contemplating why I feel so strongly about pursuing medicine. Why am I so passionate about medicine anyways? It really is a passion for me. It is so close to me. I've had my own health problems, and I feel that the medical system has helped me. Medicine can drastically change your life. I wish it was always for the better though. But the fact that the right decisions can be the difference between a positive and negative outcome (essentially life or death in some cases) is both a dangerous aspect, but also an alluring challenge. On a sports team, you feel the best after you come close to losing the game but actually end up beating a team that is really good. The challenge of beating a good team always feels better than beating a less superior team. People climb Mount Everest because of the challenge. I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm allured by the challenge of medicine. I'm allured by trying to save every patient's life. I know that almost certainly wont happen, but it is the ideal that I want to strive towards.

It should also be noted that the challenge is not everything to me. I'm not like Gregory House trying to solve a puzzle (although I do have a certain aspect of that). Even if medicine wasn't so challenging, and we lived in a world where it was really easy to cure everyone of everything they had, then medicine would still be amazing because of how a doctor can make such a huge, positive, tangible difference in someone's life - even if it was dead easy to do so. This is probably the case for some types medicine - vaccines come to mind in particular. I just think I would feel so good knowing that I actually made a difference to help someone's life in a positive way. The ideal of a doctor doing this kind of work is also a huge appeal to me.

Wow, I actually think I've narrowed my passion for pursuing medicine down to 2 main aspects:

1) I am allured to the challenges of medicine in pursuit of positive patient/population outcomes

and

2) I am highly motivated to make a very real, tangible difference in someone's life in pursuit of, once again, positive patient/population outcomes.

I may not be covering all my bases here, but these 2 points seem absolutely critical to me for my pursuit of medicine. I'll be sure to try to reflect, and see what else about medicine just seems so amazing to me. Oh yeah I remember another one, the fact that if you get really sick, you can go to a place called a hospital, and highly trained people will help get better. Although this idea kind of falls under point 2 above.

Despite that these aspects are broad, I'm just hesitant to say that these 2 aspects are the only reasons I'm pursuing medicine. There must be more reasons, right? Or does this pretty much cover it?


No comments:

Post a Comment