Sunday 12 July 2015

Group Studying and Midterm Mark

So this is a inquisitive post to everyone out there in premed land (or higher!) about how you go about your group studying? I'm hoping to meet with a study group for one of my classes and I'm the one who is leading the group so I'm trying to structure the group study sessions in the most productive, yet enjoyable way possible. I am friends with two of the people in the group, so I'm hoping to find a way to find the right balance between studying and talking/socializing. Really, I'd hope we could keep socializing to a minimum though. An idea I had was to study for maybe 2 hours together, and then go for lunch together, then study for another hour or two. I'm thinking this way we can be productive during the study time and then relax and have fun during the lunch time. Also, I've heard that one of the best ways of learning material is to create questions on the material and then test yourself or each other on those questions. So I was thinking I would create a test bank of questions of at least 100 questions. Then bring them to the group and everyone take turns using the questions to test each other. And lastly, I was thinking that just plain old talking about the material with each other would help hammer home the ideas. I know that generally speaking, the more active the learning the better. So if myself and my group of 2-4 other people get a really good discussion going on the course materials and talking about all of the different aspects, it could not only help us reinforce those ideas, but also act as a sounding board with each other as to what you know and don't know.

Anyways these are just my starting thoughts. If anyone has any ideas or experience with effective group studying techniques then please comment on this post or feel free to email me at premedpostfailure@gmail.com!

Also, I got my biopsych mark back and I was quite disappointed. I got 75%. Although the class average was 68%, so I guess I did do better than average, but not by much. Also, I did write a different version of the exam than almost everyone in the class except for a few students, so it's also not really a fair comparison. I got an almost perfect mark on the essay questions which make up 25% of the exam, but then I did average on the multiple choice and awful on the short answer. I did find the exam hard, and everyone I talked to thought it was hard too. But that's just an excuse. I should've started studying earlier (as always) but I guess it could have been worst. On the bright side of things, I can still get a pretty high mark in this class. I think I will definitely get over 90% in this class. I've already written the hardest exam, because the instructor said that exam I just wrote was the hardest of the course. So with me studying more, and writing easier exams, you would think my mark would only go up. I have to be careful not to ease up either. But I find this course too interesting to be disengaged.

I was thinking about when I would write my "Why I love Psyc 304" post, and I think I will do one within the next week because this is about the half way point of the class. And then at the end of the course I will do a "Why I love Psyc 304 - Part 2" post as well. I'm also looking forward to sharing my thoughts on the course content as well, as I find it so fascinating. This course is definitely the most fascinating course I have ever taken, so I'm looking forward to blogging about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment