Friday 31 July 2015

RESP Documents, Shin Appointment, and Assault

Today I sent in my RESP documents and so I should know if I'm eligible to receive my funds by Monday August 10th. I'm kind of concerned because these RESP companies only profit when students 'default' and don't pass their year level. I did pass my year level, but of course I've failed courses so hopefully that doesn't become an issue. But we will see.

My pain in the side of my shins still hasn't gone away and actually seems to be worst, so I saw a sports medicine doctor today. I actually thought he was a GP because I assumed all the doctors at UBC student health were GPs, but when I ended my concern to ask if he could refer me to a sports medicine doctor, he promptly smiled and said "I am a sports medicine doctor". That was convenient because it saves me time by going to one less appointment. He examined me and said that I have early signs of a stress fracture. I believe that was the term he used. Basically I did too much too fast and my bones in my shin couldn't keep up, because they haven't worked that hard in a long time. My good intentions to lose as much weight ASAP have backfired on me. The positive is that the doctor said for me to try running again in a week, but to SLOWLY incorporate running. For example do 30 seconds of jogging followed by 4 minutes of walking. I assume I can do that for like 20 minutes or 10 minutes. Hopefully once I start icing my leg and stretching, that will help me heal faster. Also the doctor in the meantime said I can go swimming or do the exercise bike at the gym. So I’ll be doing both of those to try to keep up with my cardio. My future for the track team for this September is up in the air right now. But I'm just praying that I can join the team later, in say January. If I'm fast enough, I don't see why not. Although there might be regulations in the league that they compete in, because I know there are academic requirements to be in full time studies in their league, but I'm also wondering what other requirements they have in terms of when new recruits can join the team. But I'm still going to aim for January if September is no longer a possibility. Injuries are just such a wild card, it's really annoying.


Another thing that happened today was that I saw an altercation with a guy bicyclist and a guy in a truck near my house. That got me thinking about what would happen if I got into an altercation like that, not now, but when I'm older and say I had a prominent medical position within the community. The guy in the truck and the male bicyclist were stopped at a crosswalk activated intersection light, and I guess they were very close to each other on the road, with neither one of them giving each other space. The guy in the truck rolled down his window and the biker said "why are you not giving me enough space" I couldn't hear what the guy in the truck said, but they then both went straight when the red light had traffic stopped in the perpendicular road, and then the biker hit the guys truck with his hand and then kicked the truck with one foot as he was on the bike. The guy in the truck then cut off the biker and got out of his truck and pushed the biker and then threw one punch that didn't really connect. The biker comically made a lot of noise so that people would stop and help him from getting beat up, although I'm not sure what he was expecting when he decided to try to damage the other guy's truck and be very disrespectful to him. The guy in the truck just drove away after he threw one of the punches. Now I don't condone violence unless it is to defend yourself or someone else. But as a man, I'm not sure if I would react differently from the guy in the truck. I mean I wouldn't try to knock someone out because if they fall and hit their head they could get brain damage or die. But I mean, if someone clearly disrespects you and your property, at what point do you say enough is enough? I mean you can't just let people walk all over you. The analogy I like to make is with Germany and England pre WW2. Germany was invading all of the smaller countries as well as committing other atrocities and England finally said enough is enough. I think getting physical has a time and a place. But here's where things get tricky, what if I have a very prominent position within the community? Let's say I'm the chief of surgery at BC Children's Hospital? That obviously wouldn't look good if I basically assaulted another man. I mean it could easily get in the news and there could be public backlash if people didn't know the whole story. I also wouldn't want my patients to think that I intentionally hurt someone else. But on the flip side, I would want everyone to know, including my patients, that I will stand up for myself and others when I am "wronged". So I don't know? I'd love to hear people's opinions, and maybe enlighten me if this sounds like it might be extreme. I just want to get a better sense of what to do in these situations. I grew up in a semi rough neighbourhood, so the 'old me' is saying to stand up for myself. But the new educated me and future physician and hopefully 'prominent member of the community'-one-day-me is telling myself to just stay calm and think of my career and reputation. Is it better to stand up for yourself even if no one was harmed simply because they disrespected you? Or is it the old saying to be the bigger and better man and to just walk away? I'd love to hear people's opinions, just because as I said, I am probably very bias because of the way I was raised (by mostly men) and also the rougher than average environment that I'm from. So please enlighten me everyone! Leave a comment or email me at premedpostfailure@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment