Sunday 6 March 2016

No More Backup Anymore But Maybe a New One in the Future

So after much deliberation with my family, I've decided to drop out of the cardiology technology program.

The reason being is that it was taking too much time away from my regular university courses. Remember since the cardiology technology courses are part of a diploma program and non transferable, then they won't be used in the GPA calculation for UBC medicine, thus not helping me in my ultimate goal.

If I stayed in the cardiology tech program, I only would've only been able to complete 1 or maybe 2 university courses per semester - not exactly an efficient use of time.

I know I wrote a long post about it being my backup so that I can get a career and make money to take more classes and pay for them on my own, which would eventually leading me to get into medicine (assuming I get the high marks), but I decided if I'm going to do this, I might as well not do any extra work that won't be helping my medical school applications. So I am using my own savings to pay for my tuition for the rest of my degree. My family was not initially thrilled that I'm dropping it but I just may have finally convinced them that I just might be able to do this whole med school thing (which they didn't think I could do before).

But I might be able to pursue an even better backup. And that is pharmacy. Not only does pharmacy pay a lot more than a cardio tech, but also the vast majority of courses from the pharmacy program at UBC will be used in the GPA calculation for admission into the MD program. And I would get funding from my family to do my pharmacy degree. So as a result, I'd be working on a backup AND improving my chances for medicine at the same time. All in all a very good choice for me right now. Honestly it sounded daunting at first, but I would love to be in school full time for the next 5 years. I would have 280 credits under my belt and if I can perform well consistently, then who knows what my average would be. Plus pharmacy is better than graduate school because with pharmacy I can apply for medicine every year, whereas with graduate school I can only apply in the last year of my master's or PhD.

Before I can apply to pharmacy, I have to complete about 10 half semester courses of science prerequisites first. I'm hoping to finish that by the deadline in January of 2017. But I would have to work at a pretty fast pace. It also brings up the issue because I need to complete labs and I would have to travel to Kamloops this summer to participate in them.

Anyways I'll have more information on what I'm doing this summer after this week. I'm looking to try to focus more on doing my science prerequisites for pharmacy because I don't want to wait until 2018 to apply to pharmacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment