Wednesday 18 May 2016

Calculus Midterm #1

So I have a calculus midterm tomorrow and I haven't been this concerned for a test in a long time. I just feel a little nervous doing math. I did poorly on my first quiz but it was only worth 5%. I got 57% on it. It was only 3 questions and I got a lot of marks deducted for making silly mistakes. On one question I even had the right answer but I only got half marks for that question. Looking at my mistakes I could've easily gotten a higher mark.

I'm not guaranteeing a high mark for my midterm tomorrow, but I know I will finish this class strong with high marks in everything else after this midterm. If I got above 67% on the midterm tomorrow, then I can still get an A+ in the course. Thinking of it this way has helped me to lower my expectations and make me feel a bit better.

Anyways I will review the topics that I'm not quite comfortable with and try to master those. That will likely take up my time tonight after my class. Then I will get a little bit more practice by either going on Khan Academy or doing practice questions in my textbook. I'm leaning towards Khan Academy. Watching those videos will give me the skill-set to try to understand the material and be able to handle different types of questions. I will be doing this tonight if I have time and tomorrow morning before my test which starts at 1pm.

All I need is around 70% for the chance at an A+, and I need a 43% for the chance at an A. So as long as I hammer out a good day today after my class as well as a good few hours tomorrow morning, then I should at least be able to get around 50-70%. Who knows if I'm feeling confident tomorrow I just might be able to get an 80% on the midterm tomorrow. But the range is so wide, I could get anywhere from 30-80% tomorrow and right now I do not know how I will exactly fare. The pace of the class snuck up on me and I've learned my lesson for summer courses and that is to be fully prepared and to put in the hours. I have a decent understanding of calculus but I just haven't had the practice to solidify my skills. So I will get the practice tonight and tomorrow morning and just try my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment