Sunday 8 May 2016

Volunteering Interviews

So with respect to my community volunteering, I have interviews coming up for both the hospice and the Alzheimer's society. I spoke with the coordinator of the Alzheimer's society and she said there is an opening for another volunteer to come on board. I was so happy and flattered that she thought of me when the opening came about. As I had posted earlier, the coordinator said there may be an opening coming up. However when I later inquired about it a few weeks later, she said there was no openning. So you can see how I was surprised to get a phone call from her last week about this new opening. The position is to be a fitness group social volunteer that helps with the proper functioning of the fitness class for Alzheimer's patients (I think they may be early onset patients). Hopefully I can do well in the interview and impress the coordinator because this is a position I would really want to be involved with. The interview isn't until after my calculus class is over because we decided that would be a good time to start. I'm very glad she is accommodating enough to work around my schedule.

As for the hospice, I had filled out the application form and submitted it along with my two references last week.

I used my best friend as a reference because they didn't require a work reference, and my best friend has a significant business job in my community. Needless to say he has done very well for himself. He is my age and we have known each other for a long time and we have been together on every step of the way. We always did homework together in grade school and we did everything together. Not to mention he is simply hilarious. I'm so happy and grateful to have a best friend like that.

The application took me over an hour to complete as there were a lot of questions and I was trying to give thoughtful responses. Two days later I received a phone call from a lady at the hospice about setting up an interview. I didn't actually talk to her but it went to my voicemail and I still need to get back to her about an interview time.

Hopefully I can do well in these interviews and things will shape up. I need those ECs to land an interview at UBC in 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment