Sunday 7 May 2017

All moved in, but not quite settled in

Hey everybody! So I just moved back to Vancouver and boy was moving all of our stuff from our family house a big job. We had lived there for 14 years and I definitely underestimated how big of a move it was. Luckily we saved thousands because we just did all the moving ourselves. But it sure did take a lot of time. 

I did email about 3 faculty asking if any research oppportubities might be available to me. Only one got back to me and he very succinctly said no current opportunities exist. I know 3 is not very many, but i was planning on doing it in a staggered way, in descending order of my preference for the lab. These 3 seemed so great so I was definitely disappointed with the result. I'm not sure if putting that I'm a mature student puts me at a disadvantage or not. I thought one of the professors would've been open to it.

Anyways I'm feeling a little bit apprehensive of if I should get involved with some ECs right away now or wait to have some more courses under my belt in a month. I LOVE the idea of getting involved in ECs again because it has been so long since I did any! I had what I think to be a really great idea for an EC volunteering activity. It's definitely time intensive for a volunteering pursuit, but I'm hoping that that time and dedication will be evident in my application too. But I was certifiably excited to do this EC because it seemed like a really awesome idea to me.

But I'm really hoping I get a volunteer research position by September. By then I'll have all of general Chem and two semesters of organic chem under my belt as well. And I'm hoping to be done a genetics course or two as well. I'm living in downtown Vancouver so if I could get a position at St. Paul's Hospital that would be incredible. I think that'll be my reward, if I finish enough math this week with high enough marks then I might start sending out emails for volunteer research positions at St. Paul's. I think if I read into their research in an in depth way AND email every single researcher then I may stand a chance lol. That'll be my goal for this week. I also have to finish some more of my anatomy course by Monday too. The course is an advanced anatomy course so I figured if I get an A+ that will quell any concerns about my lat B- in my last anatomy and physiology course. I'll post an update at the end of the week. 


1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading your updates! Good luck in this process!

    ReplyDelete