Sunday 5 April 2015

Accepted into UBC Interdisciplinary Studies

So I just got confirmation that I have been accepted into the program I applied for.

For my program, I have to have a primary category of classes, a secondary category of classes, and a concentration within my primary category. So an example would be a primary category of humanities with a concentration in history and a secondary category of social science. There are credit requirements for each of these requirements.

My official degree is a UBC Bachelor of Arts, major in Interdisciplinary Studies, with a concentration in Biomedical Science. And the overall theme of the program is human health. I'm really happy and really relieved. I was also surprised that I got confirmation today, with it not only being a weekend, but also a holiday. When I checked earlier today, I hadn't heard back yet, but when I checked a couple hours later, I found out I got in. Someone must've been working from home over the weekend.

I really do believe that this program is better for me than the Bachelor of Kinesiology. Even though I would've been able to to apply for kinesiology jobs with a kinesiology degree, I wouldn't have been passionate about the majority of my courses. I will be passionate about the majority of my current courses though. Also, my current program is going to challenge me to my absolute limits, and I am going to learn about the areas of science and social science that I'm really interested in. I also believe my current degree is more relevant to medicine, which is kind of important to me. My gut is telling me to do Interdisciplinary Studies. I feel much better about doing a human health/biomedical science degree than a kinesiology degree. So now I am going to be sticking with my gut. Even if this degree takes me another 3 years or more.


2 comments: