Thursday 2 April 2015

UBC Interdisciplinary Studies BA

This morning I submitted my UBC Interdisciplinary Studies application. Interdisciplinary Studies is a major program within the bachelor of arts. I got readmitted to the UBC Bachelor of arts program yesterday.

I furiously did research on UBC science courses and their prerequisites last night so that I could meet the chair of the Interdisciplinary Studies department at his office hours this morning to go over my proposal for the program. The application consists of choosing your focus areas of study along with the core courses of each area, and also writing a short 300 word response on the reasons for choosing the focus areas that you selected, along with information about goals, interests etc.

Since I had to visit the chair of the program in person, I wanted to make a good impression on the person who is helping to decide my future, so I dressed up. Not a suit, not even a tie, but just a checkered dress shirt with dressy dark khakis and dress shoes.

I'm not sure what it was, but I left a good impression on him for whatever reason. He said my proposal was excellent and very well thought out. I think it's pretty common to consult the chair with an outline and then be told to rework it. Well he accepted mine and said no revision was necessary. We also talked quite a bit, just about random stuff. Maybe he was in a good mood because of the long weekend. Funny thing is, as I approached his door, he was walking out of his office. He said he was leaving office hours early because of a doctors appointment (kind of ironic), but he said I can come in for a few minutes to discuss my application. It wasn't rushed, and he took his time to go over any concerns and also how I can maximize my plan and my remaining time at UBC. I just hope I didn't make him late for his doctor's appointment.

I do have a few concerns of my own, particularly that I have selected many physiology courses in my application to Interdisciplinary studies, which I will have to complete. But it can be a bit tough to get into physiology courses at UBC (I spoke with the UBC science advising office this morning as well, who told me that), so I'm a bit worried about that. It may take a few semesters to get into the courses I want to take. I could potentially rework my application with courses that I'm actually able to get into and then graduate early, but I wouldn't be taking my most preferred courses. Plus I don't actually need to graduate to get into UBC medicine, but it would be preferred. Right now, I'm leaning towards sticking to my original application.

It's all a bit fuzzy right now because I haven't worked out my schedule for my degree. I haven't even worked out my schedule for the September semester. If I do get admitted to the Interdisciplinary Studies major, the chair told me that I would hear back potentially on Monday. I'll probably be too anxious to wait until then to start course planning, so I'll start that. But first, I need to get some lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment