Friday 18 September 2015

New-to-me, underwater branch of science

So I ended up registering in 3 UBC online courses this semester. The courses consist of two oceanography courses and one health psychology course. All the courses are upper level. I'm also finishing my two TRU online courses which are abnormal psychology and the 2nd semester of 1st year chemistry.

I'm actually optimistic about the oceanography courses because I like science in general, so it will be good to branch out into new fields. And all of the other courses are nothing new to me. It's funny how a couple years ago I probably would've avoided oceanography courses because I was so focused on the applications of health science that I hated doing courses on other material. I guess I saw it as a waste of time because I won't need to know it for medicine or for the MCAT and that sort of thing. Now I am very open to learning about new topics that are outside the traditional boundaries of medicine and science. It's going to sound ridiculous, but I think part of what changed my perspective was watching the Fox show, House MD. The reason is that House had such a broad knowledge of all different fields and used every bit of information possible to come to a diagnose and save lives. At the time I was watching this, it was also around the time of the news of the new 2015 MCAT, which of course is expanded and now includes psychology and sociology, which were once not essential preparation for medical school. Both House and the AAMC's changes in the 2015 MCAT are what kind of made me open my eyes so that I can expand my horizons. And yes I am aware that House is not real, but I think the scenarios are creative and shows what could happen and then also shows what a difference can be made if someone has knowledge. I think that's what House is all about. It's one of my favorite shows despite the predictable story arc. But I think it's all about knowledge. I mean Greg House knows everything. And who's to say situations like that, or similar ones, couldn't possibly pop up?


No comments:

Post a Comment