Wednesday 28 October 2015

Aforementioned Good News

So I was debating whether to post this now or to post it in January of 2016 or April of 2016. But it's no secret that I'm closer to applying to medical school than I have ever been before. But the good news is that I have a very strong chance of being able to meet the 75% admissions average cutoff for UBC medical school in the 2016 application cycle.

As it currently stands, for my completed courses, my average is below the 75% average, due in large part to the namesake of the blog, which are my 11 failed courses. However, UBC med school removes the lowest academic year if an applicant presents 90 or more credits after the worst year is removed at the time of application. They call this an adjusted GPA or AGPA. So because of the AGPA, I may just have a shot at applying next summer. Of course, it is also contingent on all of the courses I'm taking this semester, and any courses I might take in January. But I was messing around with some calculations, and if I get an A- (82%) average in all of my current courses, then I will be a mere 0.5% away from applying. Of course that is below the cutoff, but I think an 82% average is a low estimate for me this semester. Also add in the fact that if I take 5 courses in January, then my average will shoot up if I get all As and A+s in those courses. And of course I'll be able to apply if I exceed my own expectations this semester and get say an 85% average or higher. So basically, this semester right now and whatever courses I take in January could very well put me over the top and make me eligible to apply.

Even if I get an 82% average for all of my courses until May of 2016, I will still be able to apply. That is a very low estimate for me. But I have to be wary because one 70 can change things in a hurry. And let's not even think about one botched final exam.

The reality is setting in for me. Academically I feel like I'm capable but I need to push myself to the next level. For non-academically I feel like there is so much I still need to do. But I want to start my application next summer and get my average as high as it can be for next May. I would be honored to even apply to UBC medical school, and once you apply, you never know what could happen. Despite the uncertainty for next summer, I'm so excited and I'm so happy for my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment