Wednesday 9 December 2015

Biopsych Mark, and very little hope for 2016 applications to UBC or McMaster

So I got 77.5% on my final exam and ended up with a 76 in the course. I really thought I was going to get at least 80% in the course. I looked at my exam breakdown and I got way more questions wrong on the multiple choice than I had thought I did. Once again I did quite well on the short and long answer sections though but for some reason I didn't do too well on the multiple choice. I guess the course is done with now and there isn't anything I can do about this course. This is a big surprise though as I thought I would've got above 80% on the final, judging by how I felt after I wrote the exam. I didn't study for long enough and this might come back to bite me.

My average isn't that bad after the AGPA calculation is used to drop the lowest year, however, the biggest hurdle right now is me completing 90 credits after my worst year has been removed. I would need to complete 34 credits by June 1st 2016. This is complicated because I have been sick recently and I am not writing my 3 UBC course exams this December, but instead I am writing it sometime in the new year because I have been sick for a while. I am 100% writing my two TRU course exams in January though. So those will be out of the way which leaves me with 28 credits remaining. If I could write my 3 UBC course exams in February, that would leave me with 19 credits remaining. Then if I do 2 courses per month in March, April and May, then I can do a 1 credit course and I will have met the credit requirement. However, I've determined that this is nearly impossible given that I also have to complete a few cardiology courses for my BCIT program (see blog post 'Backup').

This is why my hopes for an application to UBC medicine in 2016 are fading. The only way I can complete the credit requirement for the AGPA to take effect is if I write my two TRU courses at the end of December and then write my 3 UBC course exams in January. This would be really pushing it though. And for one thing, I don't even know when I am allowed to write my UBC deferred exams. It could be anywhere from January to August of 2016. Obviously if it is after June 1st then I won't be able to make it in time, as that is the cutoff for courses that will be considered in the AGPA.

I haven't calculated my GPA for any other school, but McMaster and the University of Calgary were on my radar as well. McMaster however also requires 90 credits by May 2016 in order to apply, so applying there would require a similar amount of work as to UBC, although slightly less by having to complete 2 less classes. I cannot apply to University of Calgary because last I checked, they require 2 separate years of 24 credits from September-April. And I actually don't even have 1 year yet.

So now my options are dwindling for 2016. I haven't checked many other requirements for other schools, but I will be doing that soon.

Although there is still technically a chance I can apply to UBC if things line up right, I'm not banking on it. I've just started to find out about new extracurricular activities that I can do given that I am living on Vancouver Island now. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if I posted this, but I've decided not to return to UBC in January, but instead to live at home on Vancouver Island and complete my bachelor's through TRU with online classes while concurrently doing my diploma at BCIT. I feel that this is the best scenario for me to be happy. Not to mention there are some pretty cool extracurricular activities I'm looking at doing that are in or close to my community.

I knew that even if I could apply to UBC this year, it would still be a long shot given my low grades. But now I'm super optimistic on applying in 2017. I've done some rough calculations and I'm almost guaranteed to be above 80% for UBC and I will have a lot of meaningful ECs if I land all of the ones I'm looking at. I'll post more about my EC's later.

Now it feels like 2017 is a long ways a way but I still have to put in a lot of work towards my non academic activities for UBC as this is 50 percent of the pre-interview score. Also, part of me has hope that I can somehow, someway complete 34 credits by June and send in an application to UBC. If this was the case, I might be able to apply to McMaster as well if my GPA is over their 3.0 requirement. Right now I just have to take it one class at a time and one day at a time. My main goal is to write my TRU exams by the 2nd week of January, and then re-evaluate after that.




No comments:

Post a Comment