Saturday 12 December 2015

Ontario GPA and Using Addition by Subtraction to Apply to UBC Med in 2016

So it turns out I misinterpreted the Ontario applicant manual for McMaster. I actually need 90 credits by May of 2017 to apply in 2016. So this gave me hope for 2016, and I calculated my GPA for Ontario schools, but sadly my GPA is not high enough to meet the cutoff to apply to McMaster. It's not even that close, as McMaster does not remove the worst year or use any other weighting formula.

The only way that I can apply to McMaster is if I get all of my failed courses removed from my record. I don't really think that can happen so unfortunately my hopes of applying to McMaster in 2016 are basically non-existent as it is impossible for me to get a 3.0 cumulative GPA by the summer of 2016 without having my failed courses removed. If my courses do get removed, then everything changes. But now I have to continue on assuming my record stays as it is.

I'm shifting my focus back to UBC. I've decided I'm going to try to reduce my courseload for the BCIT Cardiology Diploma program as much as I can. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. This way, I can pump out the TRU online university courses (that I need for med school) and work at them at my own pace to try to complete as many courses as I can so that I will meet the credit requirement for using the AGPA calculation. I need to speak with an advisor to see if the timeline I've created will be possible. I'm just trying to load the majority of the work onto the latter stages of the program, so that I can use the next two semesters to focus on undergraduate coursework and possibly completing the MCAT if need be. I think I've got a solid plan for completing my BCIT program, but I am going to speak with an advisor to confirm. Hopefully I won't get any bad news from her saying that I need to complete a certain number of credits in January. My plan is to take only 1.5 credits at BCIT in January, and then just adding more courses in subsequent semesters. As long as the advisor says that my program plan makes sense for me to graduate in from BCIT in 3 years, then I am absolutely good to go! If I'm only doing 1.5 credits in January at BCIT, then I know that I can meet the credit requirement for UBC medical school. It will be tough and it may come down to the wire, but things are starting to look a bit more optimistic for me applying to UBC in 2017. I am pretty certain my BCIT program plan makes sense, but I will call an advisor next week and I will post on here once she tells me that I am allowed to only take 1.5 credits in January. I don't want to get my hopes up too much but I'm pretty certain that I will be okay with BCIT. Once I have the thumbs up from BCIT, I can go about planning for my courses that I will be starting in mid January. It will be mid January because I still have to finish my two TRU courses I'm already registered in. I still have to complete some assignments for those and then I can focus on studying for the final exams. I'm going to be trying to complete my assignments over the next week so that I can take a few days off around Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment