Saturday 13 September 2014

Drive Basketball, Drugs Quiz, and A+'s

So I finally received communication from the basketball organization I want to be involved with. I was told I could shadow the coaches until December. I am not sure if I will be able to continue after December. I guess it depends on if they like me. They also have a policy where coaches must be working towards an undergraduate degree and playing college/university basketball. I have only played high school basketball and no sort of college basketball. This is why I don't think they will keep me around as a coach. I am still happy to be involved for at least a few months. I will make the most of my short time with them. Plus, after I'm done with them, I can join a different organization and cite my experience with Drive. That will look very positively. However, I am also worried that I will be able to find another organization to be involved with. I want to be involved with basketball on a weekly or biweekly basis at some level for the next few years until I am in medical school. The other main organization I am interested in is the Vancouver Eagles Youth Basketball. I contacted them and received a call back, but I told them I would phone them back once I know my schedule. So I may be able to contact them in the future if Drive Basketball lets me go. I cannot emphasize how lucky I am to get experience with Drive. They are all college basketball players. So many young youth look up to them, and I am a coach just like them. Basketball is very competitive in BC, as every high school in the province has a grade 10 team. I wouldn't put it on the same level as hockey, but it is a clear number 2 in youth sports in terms of competitiveness. Steve Nash and Andrew Wiggins are evidence of Canadian basketball importance.

I am also no longer feeling sick, so I can get back to my studying and EC's. I did go to two Drive Basketball sessions as a coach so far, one on Friday, one on Saturday. It was pretty good, but I found myself looking forward to it being over. I think it has to do with my attention span. I have problems committing to stuff over 20 minutes long. I am notoriously bad for finishing movies. Part of the reason is I never watched movies growing up, and once I started, I thought they were so long! So this same thing was going on at basketball. I should be greatful though, because basketball is one of the most enjoyable ways to kill time and do an EC, at least for me. I don't consider going to basketball as work, because it is pretty fun. But it just feels good to be finished a 2 hour shift. I think I more look forward to the feeling of finishing something.

I have a quiz in my Drugs and Society class on Monday. The problem is that I haven't got my books yet because I was sick. But I do have the class slides to study, and my classmates said that should be enough because that is what will be emphasized on the quiz. I would have bought the text today but the bookstore was closed. Anyways I still will be disadvantaged so I may not get above 80% on the quiz, but luckily it is only worth 5% of our mark. I can definitely make up for this quiz, I've received barely passing marks in classes before and saved myself on the final, so this time I'm only behind by 1-2%, so its not a big deal. I just have to work hard in the rest of the class, which I obviously plan on doing.

I really want A+'s in all my classes this semester. This will help me out a great deal for at least University of Calgary and UBC medical schools. I'm not sure which other medical schools look at college courses for GPA though, but I know those 2 do for sure. UBC is my top choice for Canadian schools. Being in Vancouver while doing medicine would be such a privlege, and also I would have a stronger chance (I believe) to gain residency in Vancouver. I love it in Vancouver. In my human sexuality class, a student needs 95% for an A+ compared to 90% for other classes. That is going to prove very difficult. But I think I will get A+'s in at least two of my classes. The reason its not three is because I don't know the grading scheme for my Drugs and Society class. I don't know what percent requires an A+. But I do know that two of my classes, Global Health and Foundations of Health Science, both require 90 for an A+. I can do that. I am so ready to succeed. Ideally I'd like straight A+'s but I'd be happy with 2 A's and 2 A+'s. Still high marks, but some wiggle room. I will find out what percent needs an A+ in my drugs class. I need at least 2 A+'s though. Problem is both those classes have term papers, and if I screw that up, then there goes my A+. I suck at papers. I could get 4 A's. That would be an 85 average for UBC. That is pretty good. Barring some disaster and/or poor time management, I should get at least straight A's. But you never know what is going to happen. After I finished high school, I never dreamed I would fail 11 classes at univeristy. So I am always cautious that I will not perform well. I am actually quite scared when I think about it. I mean I don't even know how I could have let the situation get that bad. 3 failed classes after my first semester should have been my wake up call. I am so worried that I will fall back into my old ways. That is why I go to the library basically every day now. I can't afford not to. The library is going to be my life until December 12th. That is the last day of exams at Langara for the semester. That is really a short period of time. It is essentially half way through September already. About 15% of the way through. All I can do is try my best in school this semester. I'm going to have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment