Wednesday 24 September 2014

Prep101 Seminar, Sports Medicine Shadowing, and Sushi

So tonight I am going to a "Getting into Medical School" seminar hosted by Prep101. It is at UBC tonight at 6:30pm. I'm going to leave pretty early so I can get settled and maybe talk to some people about medicine. I'm hoping that I will learn some new valuable information on the process of applying to medicine. But I feel like I know everything about the process up until the interview. The interview is the only part I'm lacking in. Also I have a feeling there will be many 1st year students so hopefully they all aren't totally clueless. I mean everyone starts out that way though. I remember when I was like that too. It was before I went on premed101.com. I have learned so much from that site and I am so grateful.  I will post after the event to say how it went.

I have decided to get more involved with sports medicine. I'm not sure when I will start, but it will be January of 2015 at the earliest and September of 2015 at the latest. I haven't done much research on who I'd be involved with, but it will be in Vancouver. The best case scenario would be to shadow the Canucks doctors, but I am 99% sure they wouldn't let me. The second best option would be shadowing the Vancouver Giants WHL hockey team, but even that may prove difficult. I think UBC sports teams are a more viable option, and the most appealing aside from the Canucks, Lions, Whitecaps, and Giants. UBC would be a good stepping stone to a top NCAA Div 1 sports school, which in turn is a good stepping stone to the NFL. So I basically have to start my journey at UBC.

One of the problems with sports medicine is I don't want to totally leave Canada. I wouldn't mind being in the United States seasonally though, which may be likely because it could coincide with the football season down there, which is only 4 months for NCAA and 6 months for NFL. Unless training starts in July instead of August, in that case it'd be an extra month for both.

Sushi is my 2nd favourite food (after steak and mashed potatoes). I love sushi, I could eat it 7 times a week. If any of my readers are in Vancouver or visiting, and feel like trying some inexpensive sushi, I highly recommend Volcano Sushi in east Vancouver. It's cheap, but it is good quality. If you go there, get the Volcano Combo. It's $7.30 for a 20 piece sushi special, and it includes miso soup and Japanese tea. That price also includes tax! There are two locations: one on Commercial Drive and one on East Hastings street. You can google the locations. I really love going to that place! Don't forget to tip!

No comments:

Post a Comment