Wednesday 3 September 2014

VGH Volunteering, Basketball, and first 2 days of classes

Tomorrow morning I have to wake up early (I haven't been waking up early for the past few months). My first volunteering session at VGH starts at 8:30am. I have to wake up by 7am at least. I am no longer part of the breakfast program because they were short of staff. My coordinator said she can't guarantee when I will be volunteering again, so I asked to switch positions. Out of what was available, the walking group seemed like the best choice. Also I get to get some good exercise.

My new position is with the walking group out of GF Strong. We meet at Cambie/12th, so I guess we will be walking around there. It might be in the mall there. I'm not quite sure.

The main objectives for the volunteers are to provide supportive and social interactions with patients during their rehabilitation.

I'm kind of worried that I might not have much to talk about with the patients, but I guess I will try my best to let it come naturally. I sometimes find it to be a challenge making conversation with older people, as most of my life revolves around school.

I hope they also don't think that I'm really tired. I probably will be, but my early morning shower should wake me up enough to not look drowsy.

I like to think this is a meaningful volunteer position, as the support for the patients can mean a lot to them. I will be sure to highlight this on my application, but I plan on doing more EC's as well. Basketball is one of them. I just sent an email to the contact at the basketball organization I want to be involved in. He did not get back to me - again. So if that organization doesn't work out, I will be pursuing others.

So I've been to every class at least once, and I'm not sure how I feel about them. Two of them seem to be about epidemiology and public health, one is about human sexuality, and one is about drugs. The drugs course seems the most interesting. The other 3 seem decent. I'm all for public health, but I don't like it as much as medical science. But still, it is better than some of my other least favorites, like English. I hate english classes, unless it is about the American Dream. That is one of the only topics I can enjoy. I actually love the idea of the American Dream. It shapes so much of my life. To think that I could be a highly trained physician helping people and making good money for myself as well is just the ultimate win-win situation. I will post a more indepth post on my classes and the American Dream in the future.

But for now, I have to study my Anatomy & Physiology courses, as I won't have much time in later weeks because I will be knee deep in my other courses, which aren't self-paced like Anatomy & Physiology.

No comments:

Post a Comment