Sunday 3 August 2014

Stroke Recovery Association Interview, VGH Volunteering, and Rental Income

So this past Tuesday I had an interview to be a board member of the Stroke Recovery Association of British Columbia. I had applied for the position a couple weeks ago, and was a bit surprised to get an email back. I suppose they are looking for diversity on their board. Anyways, it was more of an informal informational interview. The process to become a board member is a bit complex, and it is something that I may not have the opportunity to be nominated for because each Stroke Branch nominates candidates, and the nominees from the members get priority over the nominees of the board (me). If I make it to the next round, then I will have a formal interview with the President and Vice-President, then I believe they will select their candidate. There are 2 openings on the board, and they must be filled by their Annual General Meeting in October. So I believe I will find out in September-ish.

At the very least, it looks like I've gained a clinical volunteering experience out of it. Because the executive director of the branch suggest I volunteer at their Shaughnessy branch. The volunteering doesn't start until September, but I'm looking forward to it. I told the executive director that direct patient contact is a must-have for me, and he said that those positions are definitely available.

Even if I don't get on the board this year, because I'm volunteering, a member of the branch could nominate me for next year, and then I would get a position on the board. Overall, I am very excited about the whole thing, not only about the board but just the volunteering as well.



I have also been offered a position at Vancouver General Hospital at the Banfield Pavilion as a breakfast program assistant. It seems to have a large social component with the patients, but I haven't quite made up my mind yet. In fact, I have posted a thread on pm101 asking people to help me evaluate if I should do it or not. The thread is called "1 week to decide if I should pursue this volunteering opportunity?" and it is posted in the General Premed Discussions.




So some of the best news I've had in years is that I will be making money through rental income. My uncle is currently renting out my grandpa's house (because my grandpa is not currently living there anymore) and he said that I will get half of the rent each month! We do have a property management company working on it, so I belive they take out 15-20 percent. But I'm still glad I'll be getting at least a couple hundred dollars each month. The house is a big house but it is a bit dated, so I'm not sure how much it is renting out for. If it is renting out for $1500 per month I will be getting at least $600 each month. I am hoping to get anywhere between $400-$800 each month. Realistically, I'd be happy with any amount, so I should try to control my expectations.



No comments:

Post a Comment