Monday 22 December 2014

MCAT Prep Course and Books

In mid November, I attended a diversity event hosted by UBC med students for non traditional applicants. This was an absolutely excellent event and I'd really recommend people go check it out next year.

Later that week in mid November, I went to another premed event hosted by the UBC premed society. At that event, there was a raffle for a free MCAT prep course by Princeton Review. For some reason, I had a feeling that I was going to win. And what do you know, they called out my number. I was very happy about this, as the certificate is worth $2500. So I will of course be doing my MCAT prep through The Princeton Review. Earlier, I was doing some preliminary research, and I figured I was going to go with either Prep101 or Princeton Review. Although as a warning, if you are trying to decide between courses, I would say that I did NOT research on the topic extensively. I've heard that The Princeton Review and Kaplan get generally good reviews, and I know a few people that have used Prep101 and said that it was okay, but it was not really that necessary to their studying. So I probably would have went with The Princeton Review anyways. I think the most important thing is the practice tests. I know that The Princeton Review has both full length practice tests and thousands of practice questions. I am not sure how many Kaplan and Prep101 have. Of course I don't really have to worry about choosing because I need to use my free prep course voucher for Princeton Review.

If I was choosing, I would look at how many practice questions the company has, how many full length practice tests they have, how many hours of instruction they have, and also extras. For example, Princeton Review has the extra of "amplifire" which is some sort of online learning resource that uses memory techniques to help a person quickly learn science material.

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty happy that I'm going to be going with The Princeton Review. But one thing I have to remember is that SN2ed and the folks over at SDN are making a schedule for the 2015 MCAT. They have a widely known schedule for the old MCAT, and apparently it is pretty legit. So I'm not totally out of the woods with MCAT costs yet, as I will probably buy whatever books they recommend for the 2015 MCAT. I'm hoping they recommend Examkrackers because I've heard so many good things about their books. I guess I will have to see what they recommend when the schedule comes out! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment