Sunday 1 June 2014

Respiratory Therapy

So I applied to Respiratory therapy at Thompson Rivers University and I found out I got in! I was very surprised since they take university grades into account. They also take high school into account so maybe that was what helped me get in. The problem with this program is that it has to be done on site in Kamloops British Columbia, at Thompson Rivers University. Kamloops is about 4-7 hours away from Vancouver by car (I am just guessing here) and I really do not want to move there. I love everything about Vancouver, including the schools here. If this program was in Vancouver, I would probably do it. But since it's not, I'm going to have to decline. It is tempting though because they make anywhere from 27-33 dollars an hour here in BC. I may revisit Respiratory therapy in the future as a backup plan. Even if I did it I would only work until I got into medical school. I would never do it as a permanent job. Right now it is one of my lowest backup plans.

I don't place much stock into my backup plans simply because I want to succeed in my main goal of medicine and nothing else. I really wouldn't be happy doing anything aside from medicine. However due to limited funds, I may have to pursue a temporary career to support my university studies in order to get into medicine.

Right now, my main backups are Respiratory therapy, pharmacy, master's/phd programs (professor or research or both), perfusion, pharmacy tech, and I believe that is all I can think of right now. Hopefully I get into medicine after 1-3 years of applying and I don't have to worry about any of these backup careers.


No comments:

Post a Comment