Friday 6 June 2014

Spanish Banks in Point Grey

Today I went to Spanish Banks beach in Vancouver with my girlfriend. I had never been there before and I found out it is a really nice beach. There is a beautiful view of the north shore and downtown Vancouver from the beach. There is also a cool little concession stand, and people had volleyball nets set up and some people were barbequing, and of course some people were in the water. If you google "spanish banks" you can see for yourself how nice it is. I am not in the best shape of my life but I hope to be in really good shape in 1-2 months. I'm going to be doing interval running 3/4 times a week and jogging or riding the stationary bike 3 times a week. I am also watching my diet and eating healthy, except for 1 or 2 cheat days a week.

There are also some very nice houses near Spanish Banks and I believe it is a very desirable place to live. I believe it is in Point Grey, which has one of the highest median income levels in Vancouver. I would love to live in Point Grey when I'm older. Of course I'd have to be a doctor to afford it. I've always dreamed of having a wonderful home in Vancouver ever since I visited Vancouver as a young child. Point Grey is right by UBC, so if I was living in Point Grey, I might be working at UBC Hospital, or VGH which is a few minutes away, or St. Paul's Hospital which is downtown. Or I may work at a combination of the 3. Or I may have my own practice.

I am still not sure what specialty I want to go into. From my limited knowledge, I think I would want to be a cardiothoracic surgeon, possibly a pediatric cardiac surgeon. I know there are only two pediatric cardiac surgeons in the province of British Columbia. But I am not sure about things like lifestyle factors (work hours, shift work, vacation time etc.) and income levels of all the specialties. Income is important to me. Although I am becoming a physician because of the meaningful work and the work environment, I also value income because my family has never had money before. I do see myself living a higher lifestyle, but to me it's more about security than luxury. I want to be able to have opportunities in life like living comfortably in a major urban center, travelling and supporting others. Also it is nice to be rewarded for doing meaningful work.

No comments:

Post a Comment