Friday 10 October 2014

Drugs & Society Midterm Mark

Just checked online and there was an update. Much to my surprise I got 90%! My guess after I wrote the exam was that I got anywhere from 50-100%. Haha a big range but that was best and worst case scenarios. The exam was out of only 30 marks. So that means I only got 3 marks deducted. I am actually quite surprised I got a mark this high. I guess since I didn't do great on my last midterm I was expecting a similar result.

I have to remember that ideally 90% is the lowest mark I can ever get. This is because 90% is a generally the lowest mark you can get for an A+ at UBC and Langara. So I want my average to be around 95%. I don't know how people like Kay (AKA Birdy, http://premedpostmom.blogspot.ca) get averages like these over the course of like 2 years. Actually I do know how - work ethic. That is where I lack the most. I don't think that I can get into medical school in Canada without work ethic. I'm going to step it up for the rest of the semester, and continue it into next. I can't guarantee 95% averages in my classes but I can guarantee I'm going to put in serious time to become proficient and master the material. That should result in high marks as long as the tests are fair. Even if they aren't fair I want to be able to get all of the questions right. That is my goal for every test from now on - 100%. Essays, now that's a different story. I have an essay due next week in the area of global health. Essays are a weak point for me. If anyone has any tips, feel free to comment on this post or email me at premedpostfailure@gmail.com. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. My GPA when I got accepted to med school was a 3.92. And yes, I had plenty of A+'s, but I also had A's, A-'s and (to my external shame) one B+ (is was a 79.3!!!) in first semester ochem. And I still got in, with a decent GPA. Not a 4.0, but still pretty competitive. And unless your school scores differently, a 90 or a 99 are worth the same on your app and your GPA (still a 4.0). I'd say, remember to make sure that undergrad is still fun for you, and don't beat yourself up if you get an A- or don't get all 90's. Med school is only pass/fail anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UBC medical school scores based on percentage if percentage is used. So a 99% would be 9% better than a 90%. Although I'm currently at Langara, so this doesn't apply to me, but when I do go back to UBC, you can bet I'll be aiming for 100% in every class to boost my average by that much more.

    Also it seems like your worst mark was a B+. My worst marks are 11 Fs. Very different and in order to get myself out of this hole as soon as possible I need as many A+s as possible.

    I'm fine with getting a 3.9 GPA, in fact I'd be very happy with that. But in order to get there I need to do VERY well for a LONG time. I think you're underestimating

    ReplyDelete
  3. Underestimating the huge hole I'm in.

    ReplyDelete